Sponsored Links

Requirements and Process to Change Your Passport To Your Married Name

You are single, got married and you want to change your family name in all your legal documents. Pretty much easy, but how about changing your name in your passport?

Getting a passport in the Philippines is not easy since you have to undergo many processes such as setting an appointment that may take a week or a month.


Under the Philippine law, legal names in Philippines passport can be changed through the following circumstances:

Change of name due to marriage
Change of surname of a legitimated child by virtue of a subsequent marriage of parents
Change of name due to adoption
Change of name due to death of spouse or annulment of marriage
Change of name due to divorce (valid only for those Filipinos who did not act as Plaintiff in the divorce proceedings, i.e. the Filipino spouse did not initiate the divorce proceedings; not valid for couples who were both Filipinos at the time of the marriage)
Change of name as duly ordered by Philippine courts or the Civil Registrar General

Sponsored Links

What are the requirements?

(The following requirements are needed to be submitted along with other requirements specific to case)
Duly-accomplished passport application form typed or printed legibly in black or blue ink
Latest original passport and one photocopy of data page of passport (original will be returned)
Proof that applicant has not applied for foreign citizenship, e.g. resident alien card
Self-addressed return envelope, with appropriate stamps for express or priority mail with tracking numbers via US Postal Service, or with pre-paid mailing envelope from private courier of choice, if Passport is to be mailed back.
Passport fee of $60.00 (non-refundable), payable in cash, or money order, bank draft, certified check or cashier’s check, made payable to “Embassy of the Philippines” (or “Philippine Consulate General”, if the application is made at one of the Philippine Consulates General in the U.S.). Personal checks and credit cards are not accepted.


Requirements for Change of Name Due to Marriage (From Single to Married)
NSO-certified original copy and one (1) photocopy of marriage certificate, if marriage was solemnized in the Philippines (original will be returned).
Original and one (1) photocopy of marriage certificate (original will be returned) and duly-accomplished Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad form (please refer to Report of Marriage requirements in the List of Consular Services) if marriage was solemnized abroad

Requirements for a change of name due to death of husband, divorce, annulled marriages:

Authenticated death certificate of husband, or authenticated court order of presumptive death, for widowed applicants
NSO Marriage Contract, with annotation reflecting the annulment of marriage, for annulled marriages.
Original and one (1) photocopy of Divorce Decree (original to be returned), for divorced applicants (allowed only in cases where the Filipino spouse did not act as the plaintiff; not allowed when both parties were Filipino citizens at the time of the marriage)

Note:If the Filipino spouse acted as plaintiff, and has since remarried and assumed her second or succeeding spouse’s surname, the Embassy/Consulate General may issue a Certificate of One and the Same Person, indicating both of the names used by the applicant and an explanation of why the new passport cannot reflect her current married name.

Read: What Your Passport Color Really Means?

Requirements for a change of name due to legitimation upon subsequent marriage of parents or as ordered by Philippine Courts or by the Civil Registrar General:
NSO Birth Certificate with annotation reflecting the change of name due to legitimation. Requirements for change of name due to adoption
NSO Birth Certificate, reflecting the adoptive surname

Changes in name allowed under Republic Act 9048:
Republic Act (RA) 9048 authorizes the city or municipal civil registrar or the consul general to make the following changes in name, without the need of a judicial order:

correction of clerical or typographical errors in any entry in civil registry documents, except corrections involving the change in sex, age, nationality and civil status of a person
change of a person’s first name in his/her civil registry document under certain grounds specified under the law through administrative process

Read: How To Renew Your Passport and What are the Requirements You Need


NSO Birth Certificate with annotation reflecting the change of entry.

Here’s the process:

Planning to change your legal name in your passport? You can set an appointment HERE and on your schedule date, don’t forget to bring the documents needed as well as your confirmed appointment, duly accomplished application form (download HERE and print in A4 paper – do not sign it yet!), recent/ expiring passport, acceptable IDs at least one.

Passport Fee is P950 for regular processing – 15 working days while P1200 for express processing – 7 days.

This article is filed under: Philippine Law, Passport Law, Change Married Name in Passport, DFA, Passport Requirements

Read: Bring Your Birth Certificate When Renewing Your Passport





Add Comment