Misdiagnosed Kid Died Of Appendicitis - Bahay OFW
SEARCH THIS SITE

Misdiagnosed Kid Died Of Appendicitis

Parents have to be sensitive and careful when their children complain of stomach ache and do not make self treatment and downplay the situation. It might be worse than you think.

A five-year-old girl who said her tummy ‘felt like it was on fire’ was given a wrong diagnosis died from appendicitis – minutes after telling her father she loved him.  

Elspeth Moore had told doctors from Southampton Children’s Hospital of a burning pain in her stomach but this was written off as a common infection which turned out to be appendicitis at advanced stage. It developed into peritonitis and sepsis

Her parents were told to take her home without being given advice on monitoring her symptoms and even without a discharge letter, Daily Mail report said. She tragically died in her bed several days later as her worried father lay next to her. 

The inquest heard Elspeth had been sent home from school on July 2 last year, following a bout of diarrhea, and her parents rushed her to hospital after her GP said she was dehydrated and should be put on an IV drip.

Her parents were told to take her home without being given advice on monitoring her symptoms and even without a discharge letter, Daily Mail report said. She tragically died in her bed several days later as her worried father lay next to her. “

Doctors at Southampton Children’s Hospital, Hants, did not put her on a drip, but instead took her observations, finding she had a fever of 38.3C and an increased heart rate.

They set up a ‘fluid challenge’ whereby her parents gave her 5ml of water every five minutes for two hours to see if she could ‘keep it down’.

Elspeth’s parents asked to leave the hospital and continue the fluid challenge at home, hence, a second set of observations were not done. The parents without being advised by the doctor, had no idea that they need to observe Elspeth for possible symptoms of sepsis and appendicitis.

Several hours after she was taken home, she passed away after uttering “I love you, Daddy…”

Add Comment